You know nothing about art or sex that you couldn't read in any trendy New York, underground fashion magazine.


I finally have something music related to blog about. In my spare time I read about music. I read reviews of albums old and new, usually disagree with them, and then read about what's going on in the industry. I decided I'd read a few reviews about one of my favorite albums ...Is A Real Boy. The first couple I read were really good. I recall "the second coming of punk rock" being used a few times. But then I made a mistake and opened up a review by Entertainment Weekly. That's right, the devil.

The review started off pretty well. The only part that annoyed me was how loosely they threw around the term "emo". Anyone that uses the term emo to describe clothes and music, or even uses the word emo in general, is dumb.  But then I got to the best part. 

On ''Every Man Has a Molly,'' Bemis' lack of self-editing gets the best of him: ''Molly Connolly just broke up with me over the revealing nature of the songs.... I won't ever have rough sex with Molly Connolly again.'' Too much information — how very emo of him.

All I can say about that is WTF. I really can't describe how stupid this makes the review sound. How they got a job at EW, I'll never know. There's a difference between too much information and being more honest than other artists. Saying "I'll never get to do -specific sexual acts inserted here- again." is too much information. What the lyrics actually are is being honest. And it's that last bit of the last sentence that pisses me off the most. "how very emo of him." WTF! I seriously can't think of words to describe how stupid, ignorant, and lacking of knowledge that makes him sound. I just...I don't even know. This is something that's wrong with people outside of this music scene. They hear something out of the norm, chuckle and get a little squeamish, and then decide that it doesn't make sense or that it is "soooo emo". If I would use any band to throw that word on, it would be Hawthorne Heights. Other than them I can't think of anything simple and whiny enough for it and I don't even like using it with them.

I could go on this for a really long time, but I'm going to stop myself now. When someone says something stupid, or argues about something that I know a lot and know they're wrong about I can't help but argue my little heart out until they know they're wrong. The problem with that is those kind of people are usually too dumb to realize they're wrong or two ignorant to care. Anyway, have a good day.

Here is the full article.



2 comments:

Cameron said...


I agree.
That's why I like Say Anything's lyrics, they aren't afraid to be a little perverse or irregular to express themselves. It's unique and can make the song more deep or more funny or both.

natalee said...


emo, punk, hip hop, pop, these words are almost always misused in music magizines and by band themselves. of course those genres exist and some songs fit into the category but the entire album might not, and the band's entire sound couldn't possible fit into just one of these words.

say anything is different from anything i've ever heard. max bemis push harder and further with his music than any other lyricists i've ever listened to.

also someday, if the whole actress thing doesn't work out i'm plan on writing for a music magazine and promise to use proper adjective.